Finance & Assessing


Ever wonder how the assessing process works?

Frequently Asked Questions

How is my tax bill determined?

Your tax bill is determined by two factors: the taxable value of your home and the tax rate set by the City of Hudsonville, Ottawa County, and Hudsonville Public Schools. You can use a tax estimator to calculate your tax bill.

CLICK HERE for an online Tax Calculator.

I just moved into my new house. How do I know that all of my paperwork was filed properly?

You can first check our website by searching for your property HERE. If the correct information is not reflected online, please call the Assessing Department at 616.669.0200 x 443 to verify that the paperwork was received.

Why did I receive the tax bill? I don’t live there anymore?

Recent sales information is not always filed with our office by the time tax bills are printed and mailed.  Please forward the bill to the new owner or notify our office so we can ensure the new owner receives it.

When are taxes due?

Taxes are due two times a year. This year, summer taxes are mailed July 1, and due August 15.  Winter taxes are mailed December 1, and due February 14. These dates may vary slightly from year to year.  Qualifying homeowners may sign a deferral form at City Hall to defer payment of summer taxes until February 14 of the next year.

I just moved into my new house. Why didn’t I receive a tax bill?

Recent sales information is not always filed with our office by the time tax bills are printed and mailed.  A new bill can be printed if you call, e-mail us, or stop by the office.

What do the Zoning Codes stand for?


Single Family Residential



Single Family Residential


Single Family Residential


Single Family Residential


Single Family Residential


Single Family & Attached Residential


Single Family Attached Residential


Multiple Family Residential


Mobile Home Park


Central Business District - One General


Central Business District - One - Office/Service


Central Business District - Two


Light Commercial


Highway Commercial


Fairgrounds Commercial Recreation


Public Facilities







How can I find out the assessed value of my property?

 Click HERE to search by owner, address, or parcel number.

What do I do if I disagree with the assessed value of my property?

If a property owner believes that the value assessed to his or her property is unfair or inaccurate, he or she may take the following steps, in this order:

  1. Review the property record ( for accuracy.  If the information is inaccurate, notify the Finance Department so that they can stop by and correct the information.
  2. Check sale prices of similar homes in the area.
  3. Provide evidence to the assessor that the property is overvalued.
  4. Make an appeal to the March Board of Review.
What is a Neighborhood Revaluation?

The Michigan State Tax Commission recommends that we visit each property once every six years to ensure that our property records are accurate.  Our strategy is to visit one or two neighborhoods each summer to verify the information we have for your property (such as building size and quality, decks, outbuildings, etc.)

How can I change my mailing address?

You can complete the form at the City office or download it HERE and return in person to the City.

Can you tell me who owns a property?

You can search by owner, address, or parcel number by clicking HERE.

What documents need to be submitted to the Assessor’s office upon the death of a property owner?

If the property has a Primary Residence Exemption (PRE), a request to rescind (available HERE) must be completed.  If the property is sold, then a Property Transfer Affidavit (click HERE) must also be filed.

How do I apply for a poverty exemption?

You can download or pick up the application from the city after January 1st, 2013. The guidelines to qualify are enclosed in the application.

How is the assessor credentialed?

The Hudsonville assessor is certified through State Tax Commission as a Michigan Advanced Assessing Officer.

What causes property value to change?

Property value can be influenced by a variety of factors ranging from the job market to the local school district.  It can also be influenced on an individual basis as properties are updated or neglected.

Who qualifies for a primary residence exemption (PRE)?

Anyone who owns and occupies a residential property in the state of Michigan is eligible to receive an 18 mil reduction in local school operating taxes.  Click HERE for the application.